Saturday, April 23

Getting off the bandwagon of practicality...

A personal contemplation on true happiness...

Happiness is the ultimate goal for every human being.

“The great end of all human industry is the attainment of happiness. For this were arts invented, sciences cultivated, laws ordained, and societies modeled.”
-British philosopher David Hume
Courtesy of Gabriella Camerotti

We’re always looking for more and better things to acquire because we believe they will make us happy. Ultimately, though, money, fame, and success never satisfy us. We are always left wanting more.

I refuse to live my life wanting a different one. I refuse to make happiness a pursuit. I know that a job will not make me happy, that money will not make me happy, and that living how someone else wants me to live will certainly not make me (or anyone else for that matter) happy.

I enjoy feeling inspired by my surroundings. Nothing has done that more for me than living abroad in Nice and Paris. I’m a dreamer, but I choose to make my dreams a reality. I choose to stop wanting and start living again.

There's the constant war between your head and your heart. The head being the practical one and the heart being "impulsive". The heart tells you what you really want and the head tells you what society expects you to do to fit in. It tells you to act logically and rationally.

I always tried to balance the two, but with time I'm slowly deciding to do away with the "head" altogether. My heart never tells me to do something completely unrealistic... it only speaks the truth. In hindsight, I have only been truly happy when listening to my heart and truly miserable when listening to my head.

3 comments:

  1. Bourt- I am currently experiencing the most extreme case of the battle of heart and head. It is so true that the head is the thoughts of society. Breaking down that barrier and truly listening to your heart and saying f you to everyone else is hard, but it really is the only way you can be truly happy, and hell, the only way you can actually live with yourself and be proud of who you are. Excellent post! You did it just when I needed to read something like this. So excited to see you and catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go with your heart! If you don't, you'll die a little bit every day. I'm so excited to hang out next week since we are going through very similar things! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post! I think I waste so much time worrying about the future, about what else I need to be happy to just be happy in the moment. Thanks for inspiring me to be happy now and not later. Well.. later too. But starting now. :P

    I'm new to your blog! I found you through FTLOB and can't wait to read more! Feel free to check out my blog as well. :)

    Simply Kate

    ReplyDelete